Monday, July 4, 2011

7/04 - Happy 4th of July!

My cold is still raging, and I've had to cancel or scale back on all the plans I had for my much-anticipated 5-day weekend.  I'd like to say I'm being all Zen about it, but I'm really not.  Mommy is cranky.

Sick or not, I was not going to keep the kids from enjoying the holiday.  First, I put the kids to work prepping mint from our garden for the mint juleps.  (Is that wrong?)  They took their job very seriously and it was awesome (as were the juleps!).
We sniffled our way through the always nice Alameda 4th of July Parade, and enjoyed seeing Suzanne and hanging out with Linda, who we later kidnapped and brought home to our BBQ.  We were joined by Kathleen and Chuck.
I made Amish Cole Slaw, my mom's potato salad, and my famous portobello mushrooms.  Mama grilled them up, along with zucchini, burgers and chicken breasts.  The twins and Chuck had virgin juleps, made with the mint-infused simple syrup and sparkling water.  We also enjoyed the slightly melted cupcakes from the other day.  What a feast!

No comments:

Post a Comment